Building muscle and maintaining a good physique for guys over 40

Hi there,
new member here, so be nice please :wink:

Recently turned 40 and finding it increasingly difficult to keep in shape. Always had good gym discipline and kept the eating/drinking in check. I am still not eating terrible and hit the gym 3 times a week but can’t seem to move the pounds around the midsection.

Is this terminal dad-bod territory, or are there ways around it??
Would love to hear from others.

1 Like

Hi.

I’m in similar position to u

A trainer at the gym told me the amount of energy I burn slows down as I age so it’s more difficult to stay trim. I think we just have to try and outrun the amount of energy we eat ha!

Hi Guys,

I am 54 years old and probably in the best shape of my life. I am 5’9, 210 lbs and BF consistently > 10% BF.

The number one thing I would recommend is TRT. In my 40 I discovered that my testosterone levels were exceptionally low. I initially started on Androgel and then moved on to Testosterone Injections. Administered by a nurse every 2 weeks. While my levels did not increase dramatically, I found with consistent workouts (daily) and a proper diet high in protein, I could increase my muscle mass and lose body fat.

I workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (definitely research intermittent fasting…I don’t do this anymore) I lift weights for about 1 hour and do cardio for 20 to 30 mins.

I have worked out pretty consistently for over 20 years, but things didn’t get to the next level until I started TRT and increased my protein intake and workouts, both weightlifting and Cardio.

Probably most guys that you see over 40 that are in exceptional shape are focusing on TRT, high protein diets and workouts. The great thing is that anybody can do this.

Please talk to guys at the gym, particularly anyone your age or older that has a great physique. Most guys are willing to share what has helped them over the years. Look around. Over 40 guys will fall into 2 categories Guys that work hard and get results and Guys that work hard but have kinda plateaued. You can go to the gym everyday and not improve. This is not a dedication only game.

Good Luck Guys…Getting Older isn’t easy. Do it as wisely as you can.

Thanks for sharing @nukewinters

It’s great to hear you noticed such benefits to testosterone treatment, and it’s certainly advisable for those who are clinically indicated and have received a professional diagnosis! If you would like to learn more about low testosterone, or other issues affecting men - we have a bulk of resources and helpful content on our educational platform at www.trted.org :slight_smile: